Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Barry Williams Resigns from LFAA



CAIRNS NEWSPAPERS > LOCAL NEWS
Lone fathers do it tough -->

George Donnelly, President of the Cairns Lone Fathers Association knows first hand, the hardships men endure when going through separation.

It’s a truism to say there are no winners in a divorce.
Men in particular are often hit hard, dealing with loss, separation and courts which many men say rules in the favour of women.
Some men, faced with these challenges, give up the fight.
George Donnelly, President of the Cairns branch of the Lone Fathers Association has experienced divorce first hand and now offers help and support to other men facing similar circumstances.
“I got involved in the Lone Father’s Associations in the 90s.
I had a wife and a house and kids and I grew up in the old fashioned way.
I came first and then my wife came along and the kids came along and I was responsible and I worked hard and I did that for 25 years.”
When George’s wife met someone else, she also took out a twelve - month domestic violence order against him, which stated, “she feared he may at some time become violent.”
“I was the second person in Australia to get one of these, they’d just introduced them.
I was kicked out of my house of 28 days and told never to go back there again,” he said.
“I started protesting because I felt the law was wrong.
You didn’t have to prove anything, you just had to say, ‘I fear.”
“I got involved because of the injustice of it, I had no say, and I virtually didn’t exist.
I didn’t like that you could be taken out of your house on a word and have no rights, no rights.” “I stood for three days in the rain protesting, in Canberra.
Barry Williams, Ex-President of the Lone Father’s Association came along and said, ‘why don’t you spend your energies helping us?’ and that’s how I got involved.”
Remarried and living in Cairns, George runs the Cairns branch and says there’s about 20 blokes involved at the moment. “People come and go as they get their problems solved.
We don’t have regular meetings, it’s more informal support.” George says there are many who need help and he’s glad he’s been able to make some difference.
“The thing I’ve been able to do is grow my life back again, but also help a lot of people. No matter how angry you are, there’s always light at the end of the tunnel.”
He said The Lone Father’s Association encourages parents to seek support and sustain their children within a happy positive family environment.
Their website can be accessed at lonefathers.com.au Father’s needing support can contact George on 0438 465 883.











4 comments:

The Author said...

well this dude certainly did not help one bloke in Cairns last month

My bro is buying a car from a deceased estate and the sad story is the bloke torched himself on the front lawn of the family home after being "unable to come to grips with fam law matters"

In 10 years of helping some 100 blokes in Cairns [and annoying the $hit out of the lawyers] I never lost one person.

Guess the KISS principle works, huh?

Phoenix said...

It's a real pity the LFAA are only interested in the funding instead of helping men in need of support. The all important money overides any obligation they have to assist men over come their grief and anger. Instead of fuelling the anger like they do, they should use the government funding they received to actually help the men they profess to represent. Barry Williams has only ever sought to feather his own nest and if you read every piece of publicity where he quotes figures, it's always "thousands of men" he has helped and "hundreds of phone calls" he receives every night. All baloney and he helps no-one. He is distraught that the lack of onward government funding means his lifestyle will be severely affected. He always did like jetting here and there in his own self important manner. He has robbed the very people he was paid to help, you men should all be angry at him.

The Author said...

yes indeed, I was referred to Bazza in 1994 and was appalled when he told me the gummt flew him around Oz to "assess the effect of the new [1989] CSA formula"

that was in exchange for "signing off" on a "trial" of formula in 1988 - and of course Di Bryant was part of that Group

I told him he was a fool and hung up

he first got funding 1998 and came up to FNQ to spend it. I spoke again to him on phone in 1998 and asked him to drop by to have a "strategy meeting" but he decided to visit friends in Atherton instead.

he could not find the turnoff at Gordonvale, ran into car in front and was taken back to Caaaaanberra in a neck brace and straight jacket

the man is a total fool, but unfortunately, as I relate in my book, so are his followers who are all entrenched in Stockholm Syndrome

GDisaLiar said...

George Donnelly is a LIAR! You need to read this

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lone-Fathers-Association-Cairns-QLD/196506437042715?ref=ts#!/pages/Lone-Fathers-Association-Cairns-QLD/196506437042715?v=info