Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mediators not acting properly

We can't wait to see what Michael Green thinks about the following post to Familylawwebguide. When you're lodging your complaint "One" you might want to ask how Michael Green can run a Family Law Mediation service when he is President of a Mens Rights Group.


One wrote:

"I had three mediation sessions with my child's mother with the last being at the end of last year. Recently I sought further mediation. After visiting the FDR office and giving my reasons for seeking mediation an appointment was made. I then received a message from the centre's secretary stating 'the mediator says this is not a matter suitable for mediation'. After questioning why i received a call from the mediator. I was told that the file had been closed some months ago and since then a conflict of interest had arisen. The mediator said he had been 'connecting with the other party on a social basis, over coffees and such'. He said the initial reason given was motivated by a desire to keep his social life private(from his secretary). To quote him ' i tried to fob you off earlier'. As it turns out the term 'socially' is a gross understatement. I have been looking for advice on where to go from here and getting answers initially proved frustrating. I find myself questioning the entire mediation process. I wonder whose interests have been served. My questions centre around whether a mediator can be involved with a party socially after the mediation process has been closed. I was not informed it was closed. I was not informed further mediation was no longer possible. Obviously the other party must have known these details. The reasons for seeking further mediation are sensitive and I am appalled that the ex-mediator has knowledge of their nature due to having to say why I wanted further mediation when applying. Also the mediator and myself had a prolonged discussion about my reasons for wanting further mediation... he told me that he could still give impartial advice. on a surface level I trust that confidentiality wont be broken. However, recent changes in the other party's behaviour have led me to conclude that she is receiving advice on how to act. At first i found these changes reassuring and I believe the mediator is trying to help. The reality is this advice weakens the chances of effectively resolving the issue that led me to seek mediation. The surface level confidence might be easy to live by but how can anyone say that they wont apply the information they possess on a more subtle level, or make a 'slip'. I sought advice and consequently sent a letter to the mediator and another to the director of his organisation."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can you provide the link of where myself and others can make a complaint?